Friday, October 23, 2015

One Child

I'm sorry that I haven't posted in a while. I've been so busy with school and college apps. Anyway, I solemnly swear to do better in the future!!

*SPOILERS, but not big ones.*

Sundance recently released a TV show called One Child. As the name suggests, it's about the one child policy that is still going on in China today. It's way relaxed now, but it still exists. Anyway, the adoptee receives a message from a person in China telling her that her biological younger brother is being falsely convicted of murder. Her mother is asking for her help to correct the false conviction. The adoptee goes to China and meets her adopted mother for the first time. *Gasp* The mother didn't invite her! It was a friend. Even though her mother didn't invite her or contact her, her mother still wants her to help her younger brother.

I've been watching one episode a night on Netflix and it got me thinking, "What would I do if  my biological family contacted me?" I've honestly never thought about it because I didn't think they ever would. I've imagined the worst case scenario and the best.

Worst: They would want something from me. I know this sounds awful, but it is my worst case scenario. I've spent a lot of time in China and learned about the Chinese culture. They're all about the connections and bettering their lives and the lives of their family members. If I can help further their lives or make it better, they're all for it. I'm not so worried that my biological parents would want something. More my siblings because I was the one with more opportunities in life. Again, I know it's awful to think such a thing about people who are related to me, but I'm not naive and in Chinese culture it wouldn't be considered a bad thing.

Best (Also, what I hope for.): A situation like my moms. My parents would be so excited to meet me and we'd get along great! I'd gain two more parents and possibly one or more siblings. I'd finally get to know why they gave me up and I'd learn whose features I have inherited. Also, I'd get to learn my medical history. (Which would be nice, since I never know what to tell the doctor's office. :D) Sure, at first it would be hard, but eventually, it would be like my German family. We would vacation together and my future kids would get to have more cousins. In my best case scenario, I envision something like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment